Wednesday, April 3, 2013

That's just how I roll...

   Hi there!  Been a while.... I know, I know. Softball season is in full swing and both Brelan and Mileigh play.  I coach their team and play for my church team as well so to say we are a softball family is an understatement.  I've often been asked how I stay so active while living with two chronic illnesses.  Cyclic Neutropenia surely throws a kink in things from time to time and occasionally so does Fibromyalgia. 
   I remember when Joeli was little, and I'm not sure where or who she got this from, but she'd say "Dats how I roll" ha ha.  She was a character.  I felt like it made for a perfect post title.  As neutropenics, Mileigh and I live with a certain degree of pain on any given day.  My goal as a parent is to teach my children to persevere.  There are definitely times that rest is required.  There are times that we have to "take it easy"...  For the most part though pain is pain.  We can sit and hurt OR we can participate and hurt. 
  Fatigue comes with the neutropenic territory.  It also comes with the GCSF territory and the Fibromyalgia territory...well dang LOL!  I do have days where I just can't go but most days I just push through it.  I work out when I don't feel like it.  I play softball when I don't feel like it.  I take my girls skating when I don't feel like it.  Normally once I get out there in the middle of it all I'm fine.  The hardest part of working out is putting the tennis shoes on and the hardest part of eating right is ordering the healthier option.  Once you're on the elliptical or eating the grilled fish you're fine and you soon realize your body is thanking you.
   I've always been an "on the go" person, maybe that's in my genetic make up too... who knows.  I do struggle with soreness on a regular basis be it from work out routines or illness.  By the end of the day my bath tub is typically screaming my name and the hot water soaks truly help relax my body enough to sleep.  I see a chiropractor twice a week if schedules allow and that helps tremendously.  I also do massage therapy when I can arrange it but once a month would be ideal.  Insurance companies should really check this stuff out!  It's better than being medicated that's for sure.  I say that, about insurance companies, because mine doesn't cover massage therapy and minimal chiropractic care. 
   I don't want it to sound like my opinion is that you should push yourself too hard.  I do, however, think that for those of us who are affected by Neutropenia or any illness that takes our strength that we are required to evaluate ourselves more often than not.  Our bodies will gladly shut down.  I know, for me personally, I have to push my body to a degree otherwise I'd get stuck in some random pose and never move again.  Some days illness wins.  Most days, this is just how I roll!  Britt-1, Neutropenia-0! 
  We are not promised tomorrow.  I know that all too well.  I want to make today count.  If I push this body of mine to be healthy then I'm going to be "Mama" for a really long time and that makes my heart smile!  If I teach them to push their bodies to be healthy and active then one day they'll be "Mama" for a really long time too and I feel like I owe them that.  If I try to live right and seek His face even when I fail miserably they'll see.  More importantly, He'll see.  I want them to have the tools within themselves to do the same and who better to give that to them than their mama?! 
   Today my sweet Brelan turns 7!!  So I did all her chores and no homework on Wednesdays and no ball!  So this afternoon we take a break and celebrate Brelan!  She is often mistaken for "the oldest"... she knows she isn't.  She knows exactly who she is and who her big sister Joeli is and I couldn't be prouder.  I'm one blessed mama!  I've said it before but I say it again:  Joeli made me, Brelan saved me, and Mileigh sanctified me!  Be Blessed, y'all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment