Tuesday, August 12, 2014

School Days and an Angel Plays...

 
         What a day! Today, for us, was the last official day of summer. Brelan and Mileigh had "meet the teacher" this morning and with that comes all of the other "back to school" activities. I woke this morning with that familiar heaviness that I often have. I went about as best I could. I peeled myself out of bed and stumbled to the coffee pot and wondered how I'd made it through last school year with the early mornings etc. As we went about doing all that is our new routine I began to think a little clearer. With each sip of coffee I began to function a little more. What a fabulous invention...coffee that is ha! The girls and I went about our morning chores...breakfest, making beds, brushing teeth, and washing sweet faces. You'd think those things would be routine...then came the hair...and the flood gates opened. Brelan, with her new do, came to me and said "mama, will you flat iron my hair for meet the teacher day please"? My heart sank and for a moment I wondered what in the world was wrong with me. Then I knew.  I missed her again today.  Joeli was so particular about her hair and no one could do it like mama. Here I stood with Brelan patiently waiting for me to answer her routine question and I was stuck in a memory fog. My answer was delayed but eventually said of course and started on her hair. Next was Mileigh's and I faught tears the entire time. All was done and they both approved!

      We made our way to the truck, all loaded down like pack mules, with school supplies. We soon found ourselves in an assembly inside the worship center with every other student and parent and load of school supplies. I felt as though I was dreaming. Who were these 2 beautiful little girls sitting next to me and where were my little roly poly, full gum smile babies?! I felt like I was in an episode of Charlie Brown listening to the principal as I looked at my girls. "wa wa, wa wa wa..." You know the one!  Without warning a tear rolled.  I was quick to catch it and recover without being noticed but began to wonder just what it would look like if Joeli were sitting there too. She'd be entering her last year of elementary school...5th grade!! Are you kidding me right now?!  She'd be beautiful and smart and funny and sassy. I wonder what she'd look like and what she'd sound like. Would she like school or would she be nervous...I wish I knew. I quickly recognized that emotionally I was about to fall over an edge that I wouldn't be able to salvage gracefully. I began to think of what she actually was doing.

    I am quite sure that my Joeli Lynn was sitting above watching over her baby sisters and smiling as she played. Oh to play at the feet of The King!!! Can you imagine?! I can see her smiling and while I long to kiss her sweet face I am so honored to have known the one that is now watching over Brelan and Mileigh. So...tomorrow is day 1 of 3rd and 1st grade for Brelan and Mileigh and one day closer to me having all of my girls together again. I'll teach them to appreciate this day...all the while my angel plays. Sing Loud, sweet girl!

  Please continue to pray for our family...they do not go unheard. I feel them and I know when His people pray, He hears! They carry me. Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment